Hotel Security Self Inspection Checklist
Since Transient guest do not have the sense of territory or the ability to easily recognize intruders as intruders that neighbors in a residential community have effective physical security in needed to reduce their vulnerability.
An Effort should be made to develop a self inspection or survey form tailored to the property. Below points should be considered while creating a checklist.
- What Problems are created by the community in which the property is located ?
- What is the potential for civil disorder, vandalism, or similar security incidents?
- Does the traffic pattern around the property create special problems?
- Are there areas or zones for control of traffic when deliveries are being made, bus tours are loading or unloading, guests begin arriving in their own vehicles, cabs etc.?
- Are there problems of loitering, begging or solicitation outside pedestrian entrances to the hotel?
- Is there easy access to major roadways which could permit a robber to make a quick escape by high speed roadways?
- What is the ease of access for police? The fire Department and other emergency services?
- Are driveway provided?
- Do one-way streets adjacent to the property permit easy routing of traffic to and from the location.
- Are underground access routes available?
- Is there adequate illumination in all exterior areas including streets, passageways, walkways, alleys, delivery areas etc. ?
- Is there an adequate supply of water in the event of a fire emergency?
- Is there auxiliary pumping capacity in the event of failure within the local water system or loss of power on the property?
- Is there easy access to a water source for the fire department?
- Is there danger of illegal entry into the property through underground service routes, tunnels, sewers, subways, manholes etc. ?
- Could there be access from adjacent buildings over the roof or through adjacent windows?
- Are windows and doors secured between the hotel or motel and adjacent structures?
- Is there a fire danger from the neighboring structures?
- What dangers are present for arriving or departing employees?
- What transportation facilities are available to employees in addition to private motor vehicles ?
- Are parking facilities adequate and safe for serving the needs of the employees and guests ?
- Is there an adequate guard service, police service, or surveillance system to protect the guests and employees using parking facilities ?
- Are safe employees entrances and receiving areas provided?
- Are appropriate security personnel or system provided ?
- Are there dangers for guests arriving at the door by taxi or other public transportation?